Postage is extra:
For sale is an attractive annual membership badge issued by The Wanderers Club for 1949. Presentation of this badge would have allowed the wearer access to all the club's facilities for that year.
The Wanderers Club is an athletic and sporting facility formally established in 1888 at Johannesburg, South Africa. It contained numerous clubs that catered for rugby, football, cricket, cycling, gymnastics, tennis, etc with its own grounds and large Pavilion. The club was also an important social hub for society in Johannesburg well into the 1950’s and beyond. The club is still active and moved to its present location at Kent Park during the early 1940's.
The "Wanderers" name was chosen for the club when it was formed in 1888. At that time, Johannesburg was still a pioneer town inhabited mainly by prospectors seeking their fortunes in gold and diamonds. Such prospectors would 'wander' about looking for diamonds or gold.
This badge shows the club's crest of two horses drawing a chariot and charioteer, all on a gold bar. The badge colours match the club's colours, which are black, scarlet and gold. Club membership for 1949 could not have been more than 5,000
Size: 1 7/32" x 1 7/32" (31mm x 31mm).
Material(s): Brass metal with 2 vitreous enamels.
Imprint: S.A.M. (South Africa Mint). The membership number 3559 is also hand-stamped in to the reverse side of this badge.
Approximate age: 1949.
Good condition. Full gilt. Pin in good working order. There is a stress mark in the red enamel and three edge nibbles due to edge knocks. These edge nibbles are more apparent only upon close examination. This badge is priced accordingly and low.
Please see photograph(s), these form part of the description.
* Postal costs are extra, additional to the Asking Price
* I always get a proof-of-posting certificate.
* I combine postal costs for multiple items when these are paid for AND posted at the same time. The combined postal cost will depend on the package size and weight. Please contact me before payment to arrange this.
* Return accepted if the item(s) is returned in same condition it left me, then the full Agreed Asking Price will be refunded. Postal costs are not refundable.
* Buyer pays the return postal costs - unless agreed otherwise.
- To be arranged
- Bank transfer
- To be arranged
2 years ago